January 2, 2013

In Which Had Learns How Small

September 3, 1180

"Papa, why does Mama need mushrooms?" Hal took a few cautious steps toward the basket and studied them with an unconvincing grimace. "She's not going to make us eat them, is she? Mushrooms are gross."

Had cringed. Leave it to a seven-year-old boy to say the most unintentionally rude things in public; Had's little brothers ought to have taught him that much. "Hal! Apologize to Mistress Aerina!"

Hal opened his mouth to do just that, but ever the even-tempered saleswoman, Aerina just picked her little daughter up from the ground and shook her head. It was still a shock and a shame that old Laveria's shop had had to change hands at all, but even old Laveria couldn't have birthed a more capable daughter. "It's fine, Had; I'm not wild about mushrooms myself, really. And don't worry, Hal, your mother won't make you eat these. They're just for her. These particular mushrooms can help with aches and pains while women are expecting."

"Hear that, squirt?" Had shot a wink to Aerina before staring down his son. If Hal could embarrass him in public, then the boy was fair game for teasing. "None of you kids are going to have to eat the mushrooms--except your new baby sister, of course."

"Brother!" Hal corrected, indignant and insistent, just as expected. "One sister's bad enough!"

Little Laveria took to answering that, sticking out her tongue despite not even being Hal's sister. She probably didn't get such comments from her own mild-mannered brother. Had chuckled. "You tell him, sweetheart."

"Be nice," Aerina scolded the little girl. "Anyway, I hope Lyraina hasn't been too uncomfortable."

Had shook his head. "Not really. It's just that she's not the sort to take it easy, you know? Always has to be busy. I offered to hire someone to take care of the place for a few months, and your brother said she could have some time off, but it figures that she'd refuse us both. Just wait, she'll give birth in the castle kitchens."

The herbalist laughed. "Well, it's not like they aren't used to births over there."

"If anything, they're missing a new baby a year--well, everyone but his lordship and her ladyship, I wager."

"You'd wager right. Her ladyship had a scare just last week--came here in a panic, asking if there was any chance she'd taken the herbs incorrectly. Lucky for her, her courses resumed a couple days ago."

"Well!" laughed a booming voice from behind. Nearly jumping, Had whipped around to find a stranger some odd feet back, a man of about his father's age, hair sloppily tied back, dressed simply but finely. There was something familiar about that smile, but if he could have placed it, he would have made note. "Commoners freely discussing the nobility's bodily functions in a public place? This is my kind of kingdom!"

A hot surge pulsed through Had's face. So much for needing his son to embarrass him in public. "Oh no, we don't make a habit--"

"That's a shame. Nothing like bold-faced honesty, I find--at least when it comes to spoken word." And why, pray tell, had the man winked at that addendum? "And there's no sense covering up our natural workings, not when they happen to everyone else as well. I say, the best way to fart is to fart for all the world to hear!"

"And smell!" Hal added with a snicker. Had supposed he could only be grateful that the man had chosen an example that wasn't a swearword.

Delighted, the stranger clapped. "Ah, what a clever youngster you have here, good sir!"

"Well, his mother and I like him."

"Good! All parents ought to like their children, fathers and sons especially. My own father didn't give a warthog's backside for me, and look how I turned out!" And yet, he sounded almost proud. "I take it your own father likes you fine?"

Had nodded. "So far as I'm aware."

"Of course he does," the man agreed, despite the fact that he'd probably never met Had's father in his life. "Anyway, I'm sorry to bother you fine people like this... well, actually, I'm not, but it's the polite thing to say." He chuckled to himself again, in some private joke. Had suspected he knew what was so funny. "Truth is, I'm looking for someone, and it turns out she lives somewhere around here. Tell me, does the name Evaleith Ladell mean anything to you?"

"Yes, actually." For all he couldn't see her getting tangled up with this sort. "She's my big sister."

"Really?" The strangers eyes went wide, both excited and amused, rather like a puppy when the master stepped in the door. "Well, what a small world we live in!"

Apparently so. But it would have been nice to know just how small. "So, how do you know her?"

"Oh, funny story." The man tossed back a lock of hair and indulged himself in another laugh. "You see, I'm her father."

NEXT CHAPTER:

6 comments:

Van said...

Linkity-link.

Happy New Year, all! Anyway, I'm back at school for the new semester. My class schedule is different, so I've adjusted my updating schedule as well. Here's how things will go for now:

Naroni will update on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

There will also be "Wildcard Weekends". Either Saturday or Sunday (but probably not both, unless I have a ton of time on my hands some weekend down the line), I will post an update on any random one of my stories (yes, Naroni included, but it hogs enough of my time already, so I probably won't give it too many weekends unless I get behind on outlining again).

Of course, there's always the chance of a busy weekend where I can't post anything. Sadly, I think this weekend will be one of them, and possibly next weekend too... but after that, hopefully things calm down somewhat.

Anonymous said...

He broke out of prison? Nice! This should be really interesting to see what happens when he gets back into Evaleith's life. I wonder what he'll make of her life ... And what everyone else will make of him.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday? Sounds like a good schedule to me!

Van said...

Yep! Adwyn currently occupies the number one spot on Devidra's Most Wanted List. :)

I wouldn't be too worried about the reunion of Adwyn and Evaleith. There's understanding there. He's been in prison all this time and obviously she's aware of that. He probably has a sad inkling of what her life was before she came to Naroni, so he'll be happy that she's now doing well.

As for what everyone else will make of him... well, we'll get some further insight starting in the next chapter. I will say this: he came to Naroni at just the right time. ;)

Anonymous said...

Then I look forward to seeing what comes of this. ;) oh! And by the way ...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Penelope said...

The instant he mentioned Evalieth's name, all I could think was, "Uh oh."

Heh, this guy promises to be a hoot.

Van said...

And the long-forgotten Chekhov's Gunman makes his appearance? :)