May 21, 2013

In Which Elarys Offers the Details

September 12, 1181

"You're right on time." Elarys kept herself composed as she studied the man's face, though he seemed to be doing the same--no hint of smugness or indulgence or any other ill emotion she least desired in a contractor. As her sources had promised, his self-command was appropriately honed. "Many in your line of work have no qualms about keeping a potential employer waiting."

"The self-assured lack of punctuality gives an illusion of power and standing. I have no use for such bravado, and I don't delude myself about who is paying who to do what." All delivered without so much as a blink. She'd been told that he wore the mask of stone well among his clients. As he worked, though, he was ever the chameleon. The man she saw before her now would not be the one he presented to the mark.

"I appreciate that you respect our current hierarchy. On the purely business side, I can see why you've come so highly recommended." Mind games, after all, had no place in this field--or this part of this field, at least. "You've studied my contract, I trust?"

"Extensively." He reached into the pouch on his belt and pulled out the piece of parchment. A swift motion later and its browned edges constricted as the flames of the hearth devoured it. Elarys would not have had it any other way. "My lady, I don't concern myself with my clients' motives, but I must express some caution in this case. The mark is rather... high profile."

"That depends on who you ask, but there is wisdom in your reservations. I would not have offered you such coin to swipe cake from an infant. I expect that under any circumstances, a job like this would require at least a few months' worth of biding time--and building up trust." She smirked; he only raised an eyebrow, but she thought the point came across. "I've pulled a few strings with the right people and have arranged an opening for you, one that lends itself to this unique asset of yours. It should last you through the end of the year; you'll recall that I don't want you to strike until the dwindling hours of New Years' Eve."

"I recall. With such a significant date, I'm guessing you want to stir a degree of suspicion."

"Some, yes. The prying eyes aren't liable to fall on little old me." As far as anyone else was aware, what motive did she have? There were parts of her duty she ought to have paid closer attention to, ought to have gone about differently, but keeping a low profile was not one of them. "So, what will it be first? The details, or the money? Half now and half after, of course."

"In the interests of your trust, I'll take the details." For the first time, she thought she saw a shade of a grin beneath his mustache. "I doubt I'd have such favor in your circle if I was liable to take your money and run."

NEXT CHAPTER:

4 comments:

Van said...

...I can't think of anything too important to say.

Anonymous said...

... I think I was right.

And ... hmm. A contract, a mark -- Elarys wants someone dead, doesn't she? And a high-profile one ... oh my goodness, is it Ietrin? Or Roderick? *crosses fingers for Ietrin, Roderick is an idiot but he's not done much to merit painful death ... other than siring Ietrin*

I really hope it isn't Adrius! He's nice! He ought to stick around a long, long time more!

And for that matter, I hope it isn't anyone else we like. Because something tells me that Elarys only hires the best.

I hope you're enjoying your trip so far, Van!

Winter said...

I'm going to have to brush up on the Noses of Naroni.

Oh, boy. This looks both bad for the mark and good for the readers. If it's one of the crowned heads of Naroni, I have to guess Roderick (who I would miss, even if he's a buffoon.) Elarys can't have given up on making Kaldar king that easily, and Roderick would "I'm a king, goddamn it" all over a plan to put Ietrin's bastard ahead of his legitimate sons.

Then again, Elarys is as devious as they come, so who really knows?

Van said...

Morgaine: It's a possibility. ;)

I think it goes without saying that if Elarys wants someone dead, I ain't saying who just yet. But people generally don't hire top-notch assassins for shits and giggles, so there's got to be some logic as to the identity of her target. She does have feasible reason for wanting either of the royal Naroni fellows dead, and not so much for Adrius as far as we know.

It's kind of a trip of necessity more than anything else, at least this first week. But I'm not not enjoying it. ;)

Winter: A lot of these Sim noses are quite similar, unfortunately. Some time I need to do a side-by-side profile shot of Ashe and Searle Mokonri, just to make heads spin with double vision.

Elarys absolutely wants her grandson on the throne, and Roderick is standing in the way of that happening. I'd also miss Roderick if he went; not only is he fun to write, but Roderick's death means King Ietrin. :S